Trump says Iran attack ‘caught’: What we know from recent talks | Articles of Controversy


The President of the United States Donald Trump says he has decided to do so stop the attack on Iran led by Gulf leaders after Tehran sent a a new concept of peace to Washington via Pakistan.

On Monday, Trump said there is now a “very good chance” that the US will cooperate with Iran to prevent Tehran from getting a nuclear weapon.

The first, temporary suspension began on April 8, six weeks before the event. Since then, the military has decreased, but a permanent peace agreement remains difficult, with the US and Iran not satisfied with their demands.

Also on Monday, Saudi Arabia said it had seized three drones, one day after a drone attack hit Barakah Nuclear Energy Plant in the United Arab Emirates. This has raised many concerns about the possibility of a further escalation of hostilities in the Gulf as peace talks continue.

What has Trump said about the new attack on Iran?

Following the statements on the UAE and Saudi Arabia on Sunday and Monday, Trump wrote in a Social Truth post: “For Iran, the Clock is ticking, and they must move, FIRST, or there will be nothing. TIME IS ESSENTIAL!

Then, on Monday, Mr. Trump wrote another post, saying that he had been asked by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE to stop the attack on Iran that was planned for Tuesday because “big talks are going on now.”

He also said that he told Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dan Caine and the US military not to hold these protests. However, he said, “he also advised them to be ready to go ahead with a major attack on Iran, in the short term, if there is no acceptable agreement”.

What do we know about Iran’s latest peace plan?

Iran has proposed a 14-point peace plan to end the war, Tasnim news agency reported on Monday.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei told reporters on Monday that Tehran’s response to previous US proposals “has been given to the American side through the mediation of Pakistan”, according to Tasnim.

Washington and Tehran have it they exchanged several ideas in recent weeks amid a ban that has halted fighting for six weeks. However, the first talks held between Pakistan in Islamabad in April were suspended, and Trump said last week that the suspension was “on life support”.

Although the specifics of the latest plan from Iran have not been disclosed, Baghaei said his demands include the release of its assets held abroad and the lifting of sanctions.

“The principles that have been released are the interests of Iran that have been strongly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in any negotiations,” he said.

Iran has also previously asked for compensation for damages caused by the US-Israeli conflict, an end to the current situation. US military blockade of Iranian ports and to stop fighting on all sides, including in Lebanon, where the Israeli army continues to attack every day and is attacking the south of the country.

Washington has urged Tehran to dismantle its nuclear program and remove the blockade on the Strait of Hormuz, which, before the war, carried a fifth of the world’s oil and natural gas (LNG).

What are the sticking points between Iran and the US?

The main point of contention is Iran’s storage of enriched uranium. During the negotiations, Washington urged Tehran to hand over its heavy uranium, which Tehran refused.

Iran he is believed to have about 440kg (970lb) of uranium weighed 60 percent. It takes 90 percent enriched uranium to make a nuclear weapon. Iran has never officially declared that it wants to develop nuclear weapons. The US wants the goods handed over to them, but Iran says they only want to consider handing them over to someone else – if at all.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told reporters alongside a a meeting of foreign ministers from the BRICS countries in New Delhi last week that Iran and the US have reached a “final conclusion” on the issue of Iran’s “enrichment materials”.

As a result, he said, the topic is being “put on hold” until later stages of the negotiations. “Right now, it’s not being discussed, it’s not being discussed, but we’ll get to that topic later.”

Araghchi confirmed that he had spoken to Russian officials about an offer from Moscow to store Iran’s enriched uranium. He added that Iran may consider Russia’s proposal at “the right time” and that he appreciates Moscow’s efforts.

“When we get to that point, obviously we will have more discussions with Russia and see if Russian contributions can help or not,” he said.

The US and Iran are also arguing over whether Iran should be allowed to enrich uranium at all. Under the Obama-Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, which was signed by several countries in 2015, Iran was able to continue enriching up to 3.87 percent – enough to develop a powerful nuclear program. Trump withdrew the US from the deal in 2018, despite consistent reports from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that Iran had complied with its demands. Now, the US wants to freeze uranium enrichment for up to 20 years, it says.

Another sticking point between the two countries is the Strait of Hormuz in the Gulf.

Since early March, Iran has banned shipping through the strait, a narrow channel that connects Gulf oil producers to the open sea and through which 20 percent of oil and natural gas (LNG) is shipped in peacetime. Iran has allowed ships from selected countries to pass through, but they must negotiate with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

In its previous proposals to end the conflict, Iran has mentioned tolls or tariffs on ships trying to pass through the country. Washington has repeatedly rejected that prospect. In April, the US announced a naval blockade on ships entering or leaving Iranian ports, further disrupting oil and gas supplies around the world.

The Iranian government said, citing the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, that technical teams from Iran and Oman met in Oman to discuss the best way to manage the Strait of Hormuz.

The third point that could be a major point of contention – although one that can be re-launched in future negotiations – is Iran’s support for a group of “supporting” armed groups around the Middle East that they call the “axis of resistance”. These include the Houthis in Yemen, who have caused chaos by launching attacks on ships linked to Israel in the Red Sea in the past, Hezbollah in Lebanon and several groups based in Iraq and Syria.

INTERACTIVE - IRGC releases control map on Strait of Hormuz - May 5, 2026-1777975253



Source link

اترك ردّاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *