Physical Address
304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124
Physical Address
304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124

The supporters who were arrested in Morocco after the AFCON 2025 final returned with a humanitarian pardon by the king of Morocco.
Updated on May 24, 2026
A group of Senegalese footballers who were in prison following the attack at the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final in January have returned home after being pardoned by the king of Morocco.
King Mohammed VI granted amnesty to fans “for humanitarian reasons” during the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, Morocco’s royal court said on Saturday.
Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye welcomes cheering supporters as he arrives at the airport outside Dakar on Sunday.
“We are very happy to bring them to Senegal,” Faye, who wore a suit for the event, told reporters.
He thanked the Moroccan authorities for the pardon, but, what Morocco can see as a new dig, he praised the national team as “two African experts”, although the last one in January is a matter that is being discussed before the Anti-Sports Court in Switzerland.
Senegal won the final against Morocco in Rabat on January 18, but the match was awarded after complaints from the hosts.
The match is tied 0-0, after a penalty awarded to Morocco in the last minute of the second half – just after Senegal’s goal was disallowed – Senegalese fans tried to destroy the stadium and throw projectiles.
The Senegalese team left the field in protest of the decision, halting play for about 20 minutes.
On his return, he saw Morocco miss a penalty and win in the 94th minute.
In February, Moroccan courts sentenced 18 Senegalese supporters arrested in Morocco to prison terms ranging from three months to a year for defamation.
Three were released from prison in mid-April after serving three months in prison.
Following this release, 15 other Senegalese fans remained in prison after receiving sentences ranging from six months to one year.
The royal pardon was for 15 of them.
The issue has strained relations between Morocco and Senegal, countries that have a history of friendship.
But the royal court in Morocco said that because of the “old relationship” between the two countries “and with the coming of Eid al-Adha”, which will be celebrated on Wednesday in the country, the king “granted, for humanitarian reasons, his royal pardon to the followers of Senegal”.
The President of Senegal received the decision earlier on X.
“The people of our community … are free. They will soon be reunited with their loved ones,” Faye said.
He thanked King Mohammed VI for the idea “full of compassion and humanity”.
According to the Moroccan prosecutor’s office, the charges against the 18 accused were based on surveillance cameras at the Moulay Abdellah stadium in Rabat, as well as medical records of injured police officers and supervisors.
The damage caused by the violence was estimated at more than 370,000 euros (about $430,000).
At the end of January, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) imposed sanctions on all national associations for unsportsmanlike conduct and violations of the principles of fair play.
After CAF decided on March 17 to award Morocco the title with a referee’s decision, Senegal appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The two countries have a history of cooperation in areas such as tourism and energy, and share strong religious ties.
Senegalese are the largest foreign group living in Morocco.