Ryan Garcia has announced that he will fight Conor Benn in a blockbuster encounter this September in Las Vegas. Boxing news


Ryan Garcia has announced that he will fight Conor Benn in the first defense of his WBC welterweight title in a blockbuster encounter on September 12th in Las Vegas.

Speaking of Jimmy Fallon tonight’s show On Monday, Garcia said his next opponent was “from the other side,” drawing a puzzled look from Fallon, who wondered aloud if the enemy was an alien from a UFO.

“No, he’s from across the pond. I’ll just say his name: Connor Benn,” Garcia said. “He talks a lot”.

Garcia recounted a story about when Ben grabbed her at an awards show two years ago: “He pressed on me, grabbed me, so it’s a little personal.

“I’m really going to put a lot of pressure on this guy, and we’re going to send him back to the UK with a sip of tea.”

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Conor Ben has signed a multi-fight, multi-year deal with Zuffa Boxing and says facing Ryan Garcia next for the WBC world title is a ‘priority’

Garcia, 27, claimed his belt in February, knocking out Mario Barrios in a wide unanimous decision after flooring his man in the first round.

Benn will return to the ring after a consecutive main-event fight against Chris Eubank Jr at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium – the first clash was a 2025 fight before Benn avenges the loss in a rematch.

Benn, 25-1 (14 KOs), returned to defeat former 140lbs champion Regis Progress by unanimous decision on April 26 after signing a multi-year, multi-fight deal with Zuffa Boxing.

Mandatory challenger for British star Garcia, WBC welterweight champion, But speaking last month, he said he was in contention to fight elite opposition.

“Obviously, doing the Garcia fight is the priority, but I’m not short of options,” Benn said Sky Sports.

“Many fighters are calling me, calling me big names.

“God willing, we’ll finish Garcia’s fight for the title. I’m in the number one position for that belt and I’ve worked extremely hard to get to that position.

“If Ryan doesn’t want it, there are plenty of fish out there.”

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Speaking on the Toe2Toe podcast, Gary Logan thinks people were too harsh on Ben’s performance against Regis Progress.

Zuffa Boxing chief Dana White said he was open to a ‘fun’ fight between Benn and Garcia.

Shubhra said Sky Sports: “All the guys who signed with us – we say what do you dream about, what do you want to do, what do you plan on with your career?

“We love to hear all this.

“Of course, I’m talking about putting on the biggest fight you can.

“All these kids fighting with us see it the same way.”

Don’t miss Chris Billum-Smith vs Ryan Rosicky live Sky Sports June 6.



Source link

اترك ردّاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *