Mohamed Salah: Jamie Carragher says he’s not surprised by Liverpool star’s ‘selfish’ comments ahead of season finale | football news


Jamie Carragher says he is not surprised Mohamed Salah has given Liverpool boss Arne Slott a final shot and branded the Egyptian’s actions “selfish”.

Salah then made a statement on social media Liverpool lost 4-2 to Aston Villa Friday where he appeared to criticize Slott’s style of play, calling for a return to the “heavy metal football” the Reds are famous for playing under Jurgen Klopp.

The 33-year-old, who will leave Anfield in the summer, added that everyone joining the club should adopt that style and adapting to it “can’t be negotiable”.

Salah vented his frustrations with his head coach earlier this season, claiming the slot had “thrown him under the bus” ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The Sunday Supplement takes a closer look at Mohamed Salah’s criticism of Liverpool this season and whether Arne Slott should respond to those comments.

“I’m not surprised,” Carragher said of Salah’s latest comments.

I told everyone, ‘Something else will come before the end of the season. He will drop some more bombs Ronaldo did on his way out of Manchester United‘ I thought it might come after the end of the season when he moves on, but no.

“Less than two years ago, I called him selfish To do an interview and I think that’s true again. A really important week for Liverpool. They are still not fully qualified for the Champions League and this should be about Liverpool FC, not Salah FC.

“It’s vital that Liverpool build a Champions League position, but I’m not surprised and it’s not a good look at all.”

Timeline of Salah and Slott’s relationship

  • 20 May 2024: Arne Slott is announced as Jurgen Klopp’s replacement at Liverpool.
  • November 2024: Salah hints for the first time that he could leave the club at the end of his contract in 2025 and says he is unhappy with talks over a new contract
  • January 2025: Salah praises how quickly Slott has adapted to life in English football.
  • April 2025: Salah signs a new two-year contract extension as Liverpool win their 20th league title.
  • November 2025: After a difficult start to the season, Slott replaces Salah to win the Premier League against West Ham.
  • December 2025: After being an unused sub in a draw with Leeds, Salah claims there is no connection between him and Slott and says he has been ‘thrown under the bus.’
  • March 2026: Salah is announced to leave Liverpool in the summer, a year before his contract expires.
  • May 2026: Salah calls for the return of ‘heavy metal football’ ahead of his last Liverpool game at Anfield.

‘Slot can’t be as selfish as Salah in CL race’

Salah’s comments come just days before what is meant to be his Anfield swansong when Liverpool host Brentford on the final day of the Premier League, live on Sky Sports.

The Reds may need a win to secure a place in next season’s Champions League if Bournemouth can pick up a result against Manchester City on Tuesday night.

Wayne Rooney has said he would drop Salah to play if he was manager, but Carragher believes Slott needs to be the big man and play with the Egyptian if he is in his strong XI, especially if a place in Europe’s elite competition is up for grabs next season.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Arne Slott believes Liverpool will never be able to replace Mo Salah with just one player and says the Egyptian’s departure will be the biggest change for the club in the new season. Credit: Men in Blazers Media Network

“I don’t believe a manager should cut off his nose despite his face,” added Carragher. “If playing Mo Salah at the weekend gives Liverpool the best chance of winning the match, then you have to pick him.

“I criticized Mo Salah for being selfish. Arne Slott can’t be selfish, he has to think about the club, what’s best for the club. If Liverpool need a result against Brentford, he has to play him if he thinks he’s in his best team.”

“If Liverpool had already qualified for the Champions League, it might be different. Arne Slott might think, ‘I’m going to play the players or start the ones who are going to play here next season and we’re going to bring Mo Salah off the bench.’

“Arn Slott is not in a very strong position at Liverpool at the moment, and that’s why Salah made his comments. He didn’t get the support of the crowd right away, and that’s why Salah did it. He’s put him in a really awkward position where he knows he’s going to have to pick him up and send him off, because if he thinks I can’t send him off – even if I can send him off.” More.”

‘Gerrard and Dalglish never condemned the manager’

Carragher pointed to two Liverpool legends in Steven Gerrard and Kenny Dalglish to compare moments where they might have had reason to criticize their manager, but decided to keep any frustrations behind closed doors – in stark contrast to Salah’s approach.

told Monday Night Football: “Salah mentions trying to outplay Steven Gerrard and Kenny Dalglish. Towards the end of his time at Liverpool, Gerrard was on Brendan Rodgers’ bench. He was a sub against Man United, frustrated and sent off with 30 seconds left.

“Not a great response, he apologized straight away. I still don’t remember Salah apologizing for his outburst at Leeds.

“In 1985, Liverpool played an FA Cup semi-final replay against Man Utd, their biggest rivals. Dalglish, at the time the greatest player in their history, took Joe Fagan off for centre-back Gary Gillespie. Just a sub in those days.

“It was the only season in which Dalglish was regular that Liverpool didn’t win the trophy. Did he come out and lambast Joe Fagan? Did Gerrard lambast Rodgers? No they didn’t. And they are two of the best players at the club.

“Salah talks about being a great professional. And on the pitch he is. But he has to be a great professional off it, which he didn’t show this week.”

Neville: If Salah was a United player I would be angry

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sky Sports’ Gary Neville says Mohamed Salah’s latest criticism of Liverpool’s season will not help the club or indeed head coach Arne Slott.

Gary Neville said if the Egyptian was a Man Utd player, he would be “furious” at Salah’s comments about Liverpool’s season.

“He pulled the pin out of a grenade right in the middle of the room. And he was walking out of the room,” he said. “Mo is not happy there.

“It’s not great. If he was a Manchester United player, I’d be shocked. But what you can’t do with a player like that, with that kind of stature and personality, is keep them quiet. If they’ve got something to say, they’re going to say it. And they’re going to say it at a time where you don’t want to hear it.

“It was a telling comment. Erne Slott won’t welcome it. But he’ll just want to get to the end of the season, get out there, get everyone out there who won’t be there next season and try and build.”

Salah’s statement is complete

In a scathing assessment of Liverpool’s form this season, Salah said in a statement on social media: “I’ve seen this club go from skeptics to believers and champions from believers.

“It’s been hard work and I’ve always done what I can to help the club get there. Nothing makes me prouder than that.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Liverpool forward Mo Salah looks on as players and managers dedicate a video message paying tribute to his legendary craft.

“Another defeat for us this season was very painful and not what our fans deserved. I want to see Liverpool go back to being a heavy metal attacking team that opponents fear and a team that wants to win trophies. That’s the football I know how to play and that’s the identity that needs to be recovered and kept for good.”

“It’s non-negotiable and everyone who joins this club has to adapt to it. There’s winning some games and that’s not what Liverpool should be about. All teams will win games.

“Liverpool will always be a club that means a lot to me and my family. I want to see it succeed when I move on. As I’ve always said, qualifying for next season’s Champions League is the bare minimum and I’ll do everything I can to make that happen.”



Source link

اترك ردّاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *