Celtic Park pitch attack: ‘premature ending’ slams title decider that sets ‘disturbing precedent’ | football news


Hearts have written to the Scottish FA and the SPFL questioning the “disgusting precedent” set by the “premature end” of last Saturday’s Scottish Premiership title decider at Celtic Park.

The Zambora went one point ahead of the Hoops on the final day of the season, but Calum Osmond’s late goal saw many home fans run onto the pitch in celebration.

Hearts players left the stadium in their kits after what the Tynecastle club said was a “scary and threatening atmosphere inside the stadium”.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Highlights of the Scottish Premiership match between Celtic and Hearts as the hosts were crowned champions

Celtic apologized to Hearts for the incident, adding they would “cooperate fully with any investigation”.

But the Edinburgh side released a new statement, expressing concern over the season finale.

“As previously mentioned, the club is investigating the incident before, during and after the match, and will offer our full support to Police Scotland as they continue their enquiries,” the statement read.

“We have also written to the SFA and the SPFL, setting out our observations and questions about the circumstances surrounding the premature end of the match and expressing our concern that a troubling precedent has been set where a pitch attack can effectively determine the duration of a football match, rather than the match officials.

“We have sought their prompt response to the points we have raised.

“The trespassing of spectators into the playing field should not be condoned under any circumstances and the seriousness of the potential consequences must be understood by supporters and clubs alike.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Martin O’Neill admits he thought his trophy-lifting days at Celtic Park were over

Hearts also hit out at Martin O’Neill’s comments on Monday, where he refused to condemn the scene after Osmande’s goal.

The Tynecastle Park club revealed that players and staff reported “severe physical and verbal abuse” during and after the scenes, describing them as “unacceptable” and “disrespectful”.

But O’Neill is on talksport Asked if the scenes tarnished the image of the game, he said: “I’m sorry, I don’t agree with that at all. I don’t know about the clash in terms of the Hearts players, and there’s a lot of hyperbole about it, let’s find the real picture.”

Hearts added that the aftermath of the third goal had “embarrassed Scottish football”. However, O’Neill said: “Well, I don’t believe it, I don’t believe it, I think it’s bullshit” and continued by adding “It’s a home game and we’ve just won the league, and the fans have come to the ground, OK? OK, so they should keep it?”

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The moment Calum Osmand sealed the title for Celtic against Hearts

In response to these comments, Hearts’ latest statement added: “The trespassing of spectators into the playing field should not be condoned under any circumstances and the seriousness of the potential consequences must be understood by supporters and clubs alike.

“We are aware of the highly irresponsible comments made publicly this week, which appear to attempt to protect those who entered the pitch on Saturday and undermine the gravity of the situation. These comments carry dangerous implications, and we call on the football authorities to ensure that this matter is dealt with seriously and with the full cooperation of all involved.”

Can pitch attacks be criminalized?

Sky Sports News It is understood that the SPFL is prepared to discuss with the Scottish Government the criminalization of pitch invasions, as has been the case in England and Wales since 1991. They are also keen to discuss tailgating becoming a criminal offence, which has recently happened in England.

Scotland’s First Minister John Sweeney said such a move would only be considered alongside consultations on reforming the football banning order, which was closed before the election.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Mark Sutherland condemned the chaos in Glasgow as fans celebrated Celtic’s Scottish Premiership title win which saw several arrests and police officers injured.

“The government will be discussing with the football clubs, with the football authorities and with local authorities what steps we can take to avoid this happening and if we need to consider further legislative action to ensure these issues are addressed, we will do so,” he said.

Sweeney, who criticized fans who threw missiles at police officers during celebrations in Glasgow city center – scenes which led to several arrests – added: “We have work to do, working with the football club and the SPFL, and with the city council to ensure this situation does not happen again.

“But fundamentally, at the heart of it, is the unacceptable behavior of a minority of fans and that needs to be addressed.”



Source link

اترك ردّاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *