America and Iran exchanged attacks after two Americans died in the Jordanian attack


The United States launched another round of airstrikes against Iran on Saturday night, US military officials said.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) forces announced that they had successfully struck Iran’s military capabilities, while Iran’s state media said Qeshm Island in the Sea of ​​Hormuz was hit.

It also targeted the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), which was responsible for the attack, it said. He killed two American soldiers in Jordan Friday, where another service member went missing.

Iran’s military has launched drone attacks on two US military bases in Kuwait in response to the recent attack, state media reported.

The United States and Iran have been escalating attacks on each other in recent days, with both sides accused of destroying critical infrastructure.

On Saturday, Iran carried out “large-scale kamikaze drone attacks” on a US military base at “Camp Udayri” and another at “Kuwait’s Ali Al Salem Airport,” the IRGC-affiliated Tasnim news agency reported.

The U.S. strikes, the eighth in a series of attacks on the night, were “designed to threaten Iranian commercial shipping off the coast of Hormuz,” Centcom said.

The attacks were to quickly punish Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps forces that attacked American service members in Jordan last night, the statement continued.

It followed a week of renewed fighting after Washington blockaded Iranian ports and Tehran announced the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, less than a month after the initial ceasefire.

CENTCOM said in a statement earlier on Saturday: “Two US service members were killed in Jordan while defending US Central Command (CENTCOM) and allied forces against Iranian ballistic missile and drone strikes. One service member is currently missing.”

“Out of respect for the families, CENTCOM is withholding further information for up to 24 hours until the next of kin have been notified, including the identity of the fallen fighters.”

US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said in a message on X in response to the deaths: “Heroes, their sacrifice strengthens their resolve.”

The death toll from the conflict has now risen to 16 following the death of a missing US Navy pilot earlier this month.

Washington and Tehran reached an initial agreement to end the war in June, but the deal unraveled within weeks – President Donald Trump said on July 8 that the deal was “finished”.



Source link

اترك ردّاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *