Wimbledon: Matteo Berrettini’s dress banned by All England club chiefs for not being white enough | tennis news


Matteo Berrettini was banned by Wimbledon chiefs for not wearing enough white to clash with Arthur Fils.

The former Wimbledon runner-up Berretini is sponsored by fashion brand Hugo Boss. The Italian posted promotional photos of his outfit, including a beige jacket, on Instagram, but he was not allowed to wear it.

After he lived up to his dark horse tag With a great second round win over 20th seed Arthur Phils Seeking her first Center Court win since 2021, Berretini said her dress was “a bit brown” so Wimbledon “didn’t let me do it”.

Berettini was asked if she had an option to wear on court, the Italian said: “There was actually an option, but I was denied by Wimbledon.

“It wasn’t white enough. It was a little off-white. Then in color, it was a little brown.

“I had a look, so there was an option, but they didn’t let me do it. That’s okay.”

Berettini was asked if her dress was still visible, adding: “No, you can actually see it on my social media. I posted about it.

“I had a shoot with it. Yeah, unfortunately I didn’t get to court with it.”

Wimbledon has a strict all-white dress code for players, stating on their website: “Competitors must wear appropriate tennis attire which is almost entirely white and applies from the moment the player enters the court area.”

Fritz feels the pressure to perform

Taylor Fritz, who is also signed to Boss, walks the match in a slinky outfit.

On her way to the court for her second-round match against Patrick Kipson, Fritz admitted that her outfit put more pressure on her to perform.

“I think people will be torn,” said the American. “I think some people will like it and some people will think that anyone who dresses up to go out is doing too much.

“(You think) maybe not too nervous, but you show up in a full outfit and get knocked out in the first round, you look kind of stupid. You look really stupid.”

Novak Djokovic wore a white blazer for his first round match against Wu Yibing.

The 39-year-old, who has tied Margaret Court with 24 major singles titles since the 2023 US Open, is aiming to become the most successful Grand Slam singles champion in tennis history.

Osaka turned his head

Naomi Osaka turned heads in an all-white ‘Kill Bill’ inspired kimono during her match at SW19.

“When I think of Wimbledon, obviously it’s all white,” said four-time Grand Slam champion Osaka.

“When I think about it, I think about my culture, my heritage, which is Japanese and Haitian.

“Then if I dive deep into, like, Japanese culture, I think about the most iconic silhouette, which for me is a kimono. You don’t have to see the color of the kimono to know it’s a kimono.”

Spain’s Jessica Bozas was cautioned by an umpire earlier this week when part of a black undershirt was visible under her white playing kit.

“One of the problems here is that they are very strict about a lot of things,” he said. “I think it was a little black here, and you can’t do that, so I have to dress it up.”

Andre Agassi hugs his trophy after defeating Goran Ivanisevic in the men's singles final on Center Court at Wimbledon on Sunday, July 5
Image:
Andre Agassi defeats Goran Ivanisevic to win Wimbledon title in 1992

Andre Agassi famously boycotted Wimbledon between 1988 and 1990 before returning to all white and finally lifting the title in 1992 as he defeated two former champions in the form of Boris Becker and John McEnroe en route to the crown.

Watch the ATP and WTA tours on Sky Sports or live Stream with NOW And The Sky Sports appSky Sports is giving subscribers access to more than 50 per cent of live games at no extra cost this year. Learn more here.



Source link

اترك ردّاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *