Trump has announced progress on the Iran peace deal, suggesting that the Strait of Hormuz, important for international trade, could soon be reopened.
Updated on May 24, 202624 May 2026
The President of the United States Donald Trump says that the memorandum of understanding on the deal with Iran has been “to talk a lot” and will reopen the Strait of Hormuz, an important oil hub that has been closed since the US and Israel launched their war in February.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, a mediator in the talks, said the next round of talks between the US and Iran would take place “soon”.
Recommended Articles
list of things 3end of series
Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said on Sunday that “good progress” had been made, giving grounds for hope that a positive and lasting outcome could be achieved.
However, Iran’s Fars News Agency pushed back on Trump’s claims, saying the deal would leave Iran in charge of the crisis and calling Trump’s claims “unrealistic”.
Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to hold a meeting of defense ministers this evening to discuss possible actions, Israeli media reported.
Here’s what we know:
In the US:
- Trump tweeted that the upcoming deal would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a vital shipping route whose closure has caused a global energy crisis. He did not say anything else that will be included in the agreement.
- In his letter to the Truth Social platform, the US president described the agreement as a “Memorandum of Understanding regarding PEACE” which is still “to be finalized” between the US, Iran and “various other countries”, adding that “The final details of the Deal are being discussed, and will be announced soon”.
- Trump said the progress follows calls with Israel and its allies in the region and “the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” giving relief to international markets.
- “Great progress” has been made in resolving the Strait of Hormuz crisis, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said during a visit to India. The US ambassador also accused Iran of supporting “terrorism” around the world and said Tehran should not have nuclear weapons.
In Iran:
- Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei also spoke of a “way of communication” with Washington but said “it does not mean that we and the United States will make an agreement on important issues”.
- “Our goal was first to create a memorandum of understanding, a kind of agreement,” he said on state television.
- Baghaei added that he hoped the details of the final agreement could be finalized “within a good period of time between 30 and 60 days” after the initial plan is completed.
- The naval blockade must be completely lifted within 30 days, Tasnim said, citing the memorandum of understanding (MoU), adding that part of Iran’s frozen funds must be released in the first phase.
- Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said no decision can be made on relations with the US without the permission of Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei.
- Al Jazeera’s Tohid Asadi, from Tehran, said it was “premature” to make the MoU a “success”. “There is still mistrust from Tehran towards the United States,” he said. “Whether this will be a long-term solution or another conflict – that’s something we have to wait for.”
- Iran is moving its World Cup venue to Mexico after the world’s governing body, FIFA, approved a request to move it from Tucson, Arizona, the head of Iran’s soccer body said.
In Lebanon
- The Lebanese Civil Defense Agency said its site in the southern city of Nabatieh has been destroyed by Israeli airstrikes.
- An Israeli soldier was killed near the border with Lebanon, bringing to 22 the number of soldiers killed in the war with Hezbollah since March 2 despite the so-called ceasefire that began on April 22.
- The head of Hezbollah Naim Qassem received a message from the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Iran Abbas Araghchi, saying that the latest decision through Pakistani officials that wants to end the war emphasizes the “desire to include Lebanon” in stopping the war.
- Lebanon’s Health Ministry says Israeli airstrikes have killed 3,123 people since March 2, the day fighting between Israel and Hezbollah escalated.
In Gaza
- An earlier Israeli airstrike killed three members of a Palestinian family, including a one-year-old child, in the central Gaza Strip, the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital said.
- British and Irish activists from the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla who were kidnapped in international waters and deported by Israel, have returned to London and Dublin.
Source link