Physical Address
304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124
Physical Address
304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124

Max Verstappen has renewed his threat to quit Formula 1 in 2027 if the rules of the game are not changed.
Verstappen revealed at the end of March that he was considering walking away from F1 at the end of the season due to frustration with the new 2026 power unit rules that forced drivers to drive in an unnatural way to optimize lap times.
The FIA said last week that it had reached an agreement in principle with the teams for 2027 which would see the power unit split move from around 50-50 between internal combustion and electric power to 60-40 between internal combustion and electric power, thus reducing the amount of energy management.
Verstappen said that on Thursday ahead of this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix The proposal raised the prospect of him staying in F1 next year as the sport “needs” it..
However, he again cast doubt on his future on Saturday after qualifying sixth for Sunday’s race in Montreal.
“If it stays like this, it’s going to be a long year next year which I don’t want,” said Verstappen, who is contracted to Red Bull until the end of 2028.
“It’s not mentally possible for me to stay like this. Not really.”
Asked if he would take a break in 2027 and return in 2028 if the two-year change was made, Verstappen replied “No. There are a lot more fun things to do.”
The FIA has already changed this year’s regulations since the fourth round in Miami earlier this month which was positively received by the drivers.
But, although changes have been agreed for 2027, the exact details of the changes continue to be discussed between F1’s engine manufacturers – Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull-Ford, Audi and Honda.
This could result in any changes being pushed back a year or not enough to convince Verstappen to stay.
He said on Thursday: “I just want a better product in Formula 1 and this (proposed change) will definitely improve the product.
“What I said before with the change, hopefully it will happen next year, it will already help a lot. I’ve always said it doesn’t matter if I have a good car or not, it’s just a product, and I think the product will improve like that, so naturally I think the enjoyment will increase as well.”
Verstappen was skeptical of F1’s 2026 regulations as early as 2023, and his criticism of the rules at the start of the season was largely supported by other drivers on the grid.
The 28-year-old raced at the Nurburgring 24 Hours last weekend and has made six other trips to Germany’s Nordschleife over the past 12 months as he hones his exploits outside of F1.
Red Bull team principal Laurent Mackies said it was “important for the sport” to make changes for next year and listen to the drivers.
“Max cares about the sport, and why he’s so vocal is because he really cares about the pinnacle of Formula 1 motorsport,” he said.
“He wants to see, as I’m sure most of you do, flat-out qualifying. He wants to see the fastest drivers push as hard as they can in the corners without losing any lap time. And he’s been heard.
“There is a fantastic openness from the stakeholders, from the FIA, from F1, from all the teams, to say, ‘Yes, we have to do something about this’.”
Sunday 24th May
3.40pm: F1 Academy Race 3
5pm: F2 Feature Race
7.30pm: Canadian GP Build-up: Grand Prix Sunday*
9pm: Canadian Grand Prix*
11am: Canadian GP reaction: Checkered flag*
12am: Ted’s Notebook*
*Also on Sky Sports main events
Formula 1 is in Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix and another sprint weekend. Watch live on Sky Sports F1, Sunday’s race at 9pm. Stream Sky Sports now – no contract, cancel anytime