Physical Address
304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124
Physical Address
304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124

The UN Security Council called for pressure on Israel to take action and Hamas’s defiance under the Gaza Strip to ‘cease fire’.
Updated on May 21, 2026
Nickolay Mladenov, the head of the United States-based peacekeeping mission in Gaza, has warned that the devastation in the devastated Palestinian territory could be “sustainable”.
Speaking on Thursday at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), Mladenov provided a map detailing the position of Israel and Hamas to establish a permanent ceasefire. He urged the UNSC to use “every means at its disposal” to force Hamas to disarm, while also saying that Israel must maintain its commitment under the ceasefire agreed in October.
list of things 3end of series
“Let me say this very clearly: implementation cannot be limited to Palestine,” Mladenov said, speaking via video.
“The ongoing killings and Israeli restrictions on people’s movement are not a problem,” he said.
The war that Israel started after the 7 October 2023 attack on southern Israel by Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups was stopped by the end of the war in October 2025. More than 72,775 Palestinians have been killed in the war. But the Israeli army maintains a tight security presence, and hundreds have been killed in the past seven months. On Thursday, an Israeli attack killed a 26-year-old boy in the al-Mahatta area of Gaza, east of the city of Deir el-Balah, according to the Wafa agency.
Conflict monitors warn that since the end of the US-Israeli war on Iran that took place last month, Israel. Bombings in Gaza have increased. Violent attacks on settlers and captured soldiers The West Bank is also increasing.
Mladenov, a former Bulgarian ambassador, warned of the dangers of both parties.
“The danger is that what is increasing is becoming permanent: a divided Gaza, Hamas with military rule and leadership over two million people in an area less than half the territory.
“Those people can remain in the rubble, dependent on aid without rehabilitation, because reconstruction funds will not follow when the equipment is not installed,” said Mladenov.
Another generation is growing up in tents with fear, and despair as the wisest thing for them to hear.
This, he said, is a situation that Israel, Palestine and the region “must fear and encourage each other to avoid”.
In January, the US announced that a Gaza “cease fire” was in place to the second stagewhich should focus on the disarmament of Hamas, long-term governance and the creation of a group of Palestinian scientists to lead the post-Gaza conflict. It also calls for the gradual withdrawal of the Israeli army, which still controls more than 50 percent of Palestinian territory, and the deployment of a permanent international force.
But with the Iran war drawing the world’s attention amid the global energy crisis, the transition to the second phase has been put on hold for several weeks.