US suspends defense cooperation with Canada since World War II | Donald Trump News


The Trump administration has often criticized US allies for failing to meet their mutual defense commitments.

The United States has said it will not participate in Canada’s national security assistance program, marking the country as failing to meet its national security obligations.

Monday, US Undersecretary of Defense Elbridge Colby he wrote on television that his department would withdraw from the Permanent Joint Board on Defense to “review” the value of the meeting.

Recommended Articles

list of things 3end of series

The organization dates back to World War II and has served as a regional defense forum. But relations with Canada have been strained since US President Donald Trump returned for a second term in 2025.

“A strong Canada that prioritizes hard power over rhetoric benefits us all. Unfortunately, Canada has failed to make progress on its defense,” Colby wrote on X.

“We can no longer avoid the gaps between rhetoric and reality. Real power must reinforce our rhetoric and responsibility for shared security and safety.”

The announcement is the latest example of the Trump administration Western allies on what the president believes is a strong reliance on US military power.

Allied nations have disputed his claims, saying they are exaggerated military expenses and take steps to better manage regional security.

Last year, at the NATO meeting in The Hague, almost all member states agreed to increase defense spending to 5 percent of their gross domestic product (GDP). Spain requested to be removed from the agreement, however.

Canada, under the Prime Minister Mark Carneyit was among the countries that are trying to spend more.

Of the 5 per cent allocated to defence, 3.5 per cent will go towards strengthening Canada’s “major military capabilities”, the Carney government said. The remainder could go towards security-related projects, including port maintenance, emergency preparedness and more.

Since becoming prime minister in March 2025, Carney has been instrumental in reducing Canada’s dependence on the US military and economy.

In a speech this year, he outlined a vision in which “central powers” such as Canada joined forces to end the current “era of great war”, which he pointed to countries like the US, Russia and China.

Although the US and Canada are neighbors, Trump’s second presidency has brought the two countries into conflict, even beyond security issues.

Trump has criticized Canada for pursuing unfair trade policies and failing to crack down on illegal smuggling of people and drugs across the border, although critics question the legitimacy of this.

In order to force Canada to comply with his policies, the US President followed suit Aggressive tariff regime border taxes.

Trump has previously said that Canada could avoid such sanctions by relinquishing its sovereignty and becoming the 51st country in the US.

“Certain and rational thinking is needed to maintain a close relationship with our neighbor,” Republican US Representative Don Bacon said on Monday, criticizing the decision to withdraw from the security forum with Canada.

“All this started with the mockery that ‘Canada will be the 51st country’ and ‘their Prime Minister will be the 51st governor.’ The slander has not gained us anything but hatred which has cost us wealth and military.”

The US, Canada and Mexico plan to negotiate a regional free trade agreement, known as the USMCA, later this year.



Source link

اترك ردّاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *