Trump delays ‘planned attack’ on Iran, cites ‘serious talks’ | US-Israel War on Iran News


The President of the United States, Donald Trump, has announced that he will delay the “planned attack” against Iran at the request of regional leaders in the Middle East.

The change, he said, was the result of a development in which “major discussions are taking place now”.

Recommended Articles

list of things 3end of series

“An agreement will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all the countries in the Middle East, and beyond,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social account.

It is unclear what, if any, progress has been made in the stalled talks to end the conflict between the US, Israel and Iran.

But Trump praised the intervention of leaders including Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and changed his mind.

“I have advised the Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and the United States Army, that we will NOT attack Iran tomorrow,” Trump added.

However, he realized that “he advised them to be ready to go ahead with a full attack on Iran, in the short term, if there is no official agreement”.

The latest on Trump post it comes after days of increasing criticism of Iran, and the president writing one day earlier that “the clock is ticking” for the Iranian authorities to act, or “there will be nothing”.

Pakistan has acted as a mediator since the US joined Israel in attacking Iran on February 28, triggering the ongoing war.

Trump has said the war was necessary to prevent Iran from getting nuclear weapons, although the country has denied it wants them. The US president repeated the theme in a post on Monday, calling nuclear weapons a red line.

“This deal includes, in particular, NO NUCLEAR DEVICES FOR IRAN,” he wrote.

In addition to limiting Iran’s ability to enrich uranium, the Trump administration has sought to sever Iran’s relations with its regional allies and remove its military and naval forces.

But Iran says that Trump’s demands are too much. For its part, Iran has called for the closure of Iran’s economy and the lifting of foreign sanctions on its economy.

Control over the Strait of Hormuz It has also been tense, with Iran disrupting trade through the vital waterway and the US responding with its own naval blockade.

Earlier on Monday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian tweeted that his government would protect its country’s interests, no matter what.

“Negotiation does not mean surrender,” Pezeshkian said. “The Islamic Republic of Iran will begin to negotiate with respect, sovereignty, and the protection of national rights, and will not abandon the rights of the people and the country in any way.”

Iran and the US reached a ceasefire agreement on April 8, following several threats from Trump, including that “all civilization will die” unless Iran changes its regime.

But the ceasefire has been strained, with both sides accusing the other of violations.

For example, in late April, Trump announced that he would send his envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner to Pakistan to discuss the conflict, only to withdraw from their participation due to frustration with the current state of the talks.

The war with Iran has also proved a political liability for Trump, whose Republican Party faces strong competition in the November US mid-term elections.

A New York Times poll, released Monday morning, found that 64 percent of US officials believe it was the wrong decision to go to war with Iran.

The war has cost the country at least $29bn so far, according to Pentagon officials, some experts think the cost may be much higher.

Reporting from Tehran, Al Jazeera correspondent Almigdad Alruhaid said Trump’s speech did little to impress Iranian leaders.

“They are showing disagreement instead of accepting the opposition to Donald Trump’s speech. They are also insisting on mutual trust, mutual respect,” he said. “This kind of language is unacceptable here.”

But some experts noted that Trump’s latest message seems to be pointing towards Gulf countries such as Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which have come under fire from the ongoing war.

Dania Thafer, director of the Gulf International Forum, which provides research on the Gulf region, said the countries hoped that the countries would avoid the spread of the conflict.

“What they want is a solution to the problems they are facing,” he said.

Mr. Thafer added that Trump’s demands for the war were not really shared by the US allies in the Gulf.

“It is interesting to say that, from the point of view of the Gulf state, the nuclear issue is not very important,” Thafer said.

“According to their opinion, the opening of the Strait of Hormuz and talks with Iran’s weapons that have fired thousands of missiles at the Gulf States are the main issues.”



Source link

اترك ردّاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *