French Open 2026: Aryna Sabalenka breaks short news conference as top players protest at Grand Slam award


The decision by the top-20 players to limit their collective media commitments is the latest step in a long-running dispute.

The players had their first meeting with the Grand Slam last year and more talks have taken place since then, but progress has not been as good as the players would like.

The key things players want to change are:

  • Prize Money – With higher prize money-to-revenue ratios in recognition of players’ contribution to the financial success of tournaments, more money is trickling down to lower-level players.

The group has called for the Slams to pay 22% of their prize money by 2030, arguing that the French Open’s 15% offer is not enough.

This year’s Roland Garros prize money is up 9.5%, but the annual increase is close to 20% last year at the US Open and 16% at the Australian Open in January.

French Open tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said she was “deeply disappointed” by the players’ actions but was confident the matter would be resolved.

Mauresmo and French Tennis Federation (FFT) president Gilles Morton are due to meet former WTA chairman Larry Scott – who represents the players in the dispute – on Friday.

The players involved are not drawn on whether quitting the majors could be their next step.

“I don’t know if I want to throw around the ‘b-word’,” said American world number eight Taylor Fritz.

“I don’t think we should make such a big threat unless we are fully prepared to carry it out.

But if we get to the point where we’re being ignored, it’s to have a conversation.



Source link

اترك ردّاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *